Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend | 2015

How in the world is it already Thursday?! Getting back into the swing of things on Tuesday has really thrown me off. 

This weekend was one for the record books. Who would have though that taking my 80-something year old Nana to Lynchburg would be so fun?! I mean, she's pretty awesome, but the responsibility to make sure she is doing OK while trying to talk with eleven other baseball girls and see D.J. all in one weekend was a little daunting.  But we managed just fine and Nana kept up with the youngin's just fine! 
Although it was a far and tiring drive, it was beautiful and well worth it! We didn't make it in time for the Friday game, but Nana got settled in her hotel room and Stryker and I went to the apartment to wait for D.J. to finish up at the field. 
Saturday's game was at 6:30 p.m. so we grabbed an early lunch together and D.J. left for the field around noon.  Nana and I went back to the apartment and decided it was time to teach her how to use her iPad.  I taught, but I'm not sure if she retained the information! 


We made it to the field around 5:30 so we would have plenty of time to get settled in our seats before the game started.  It was crazy packed because of free t-shirt night.  The stadium itself was pretty decent.  Almost all general admission seating and a lot of that was covered, so it was good to be out of the sun.  I can't believe how late the sun is staying up - I love it! The stadium provided a beautiful sunset on Saturday from the suit that us baseball wives were able to convince the stadium workers to let us sit in! 

It was so great to see these lovely ladies.  It's by far the most girls we have had at one game since I've been in the baseball group.  Aren't my friends hot y'all?!? I seriously cannot imagine doing this crazy journey without the friendships we have formed over the season. These girls are the only ones that truly understand what we go through and it's so comforting knowing that someone is just a quick text away to release some of the baseball stress!

And of course, baseball babies make everything better - especially when it's this cutie...


Sunday's game was at 2 p.m., so after the game we decided to have an impromptu party for the birthday boy himself! 

Seeing how Maria and Eric are with their little boy makes me so excited to be able to experience that love with my own child one day.  We had six baseball couples, both Maria and Eric's family, Nana, and two dogs to celebrate this precious babe's first birthday!



Good thing this cake looks like it does, because seconds before this photo, Maria almost dropped it straight on the ground!!


He was totally into opening his presents and seeing his new toys!


And the sunset couldn't have been more beautiful. 


Cannot imagine doing life without these people!


The proud parents of the birthday boy!


Aunt Cayte and Uncle D.J.! .....He wasn't into being held.  Oops.


Monday morning D.J. and I took a trip to downtown Lynchburg to grab some breakfast. We were pressed for time, so we didn't fully explore, but they were having a Memorial Day service that we stopped by to remember those who lost their lives defending our freedom.  It was a precious moment.  The downtown is so cute - I cannot wait to get back out there and explore more! 


We tried Market on Main Street and it was delicious.  If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend the sweet potato pancakes! 



Nana and I explored a little more of the downtown after D.J. went to the field and found the river and the active train tracks that run at the bottom of Lynchburg's downtown area.  I am determined to float the river at some point this summer!



And then the whole reason we were there, of course, was to see the Hillcats play! D.J. got the news that he was back in the rotation and luckily was playing on Monday for us to see before he left.  He only went three innings, but was on a pitch count, so we are hoping for more the next start! I couldn't be more proud of this kid and the hard work he puts in each and every day to chase his dream!


D.J. and his biggest fan, Nana.


We didn't get home till around 10 p.m. on Monday, but it was well worth it. I cannot wait to get out there for the summer - be on the lookout for my Lynchburg bucket list in the next few days! 

Hope you all had a fabulous Memorial Day Weekend and happy unofficial start to summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on the blog! I cannot wait to read it and check out your blog! xx, cayte