Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Virginia Whirlwind Tour

This weekend I put some miles on my already tired tires as I drove across Virginia stopping in three different destinations in a matter of 72 hours.
Before hitting the road, I spent Friday afternoon watching my little cousin Liam's dive meet! It was the cutest thing ever to watch him get up on that spring board and showcase his dives.  Such a smart, funny, little kid he is!
Thinking that I would miss the traffic, I got on the road around 6:45 and sat in about 45 minutes of tunnel traffic.  Not what I was expecting, but I passed the time by watching some March Maddness on my phone! Thank goodness for technology! And don't worry- once we started moving, I stopped watching.


I arrived in Richmond, VA around 9 to Conner's house and Brad met us before we went out to Jack Brown's, which any JMU student knows as the best burger place in town.  They just opened up a Richmond location and I knew I had to try it. After an hour wait, 4 Bold Rock ciders later, I was enjoying a artery clogging delicious burger topped with mac and cheese and BBQ chips followed by an even more unhealthy deep fried Oreo.  Yep, that happened!

Saturday morning I met up with one of my besties, Hannah and we took a spin class at BOHO in Richmond and it was killer.  It was so awesome though - the instructor was so energetic and helped me so much since it was my first spin class!

I drove up to Charlottesville after the class and met Kendall, my big in AST and bestie, at her fabric store to look for curtains.  Remember my curtain post from a while ago?! Yea, well I have about 14 new fabrics to choose from.  Talk about overwhelming.  I think I have narrowed it down to three finalists and will let you all in on those soon! We spent the night watching basketball and drinking more beer at Mellow Mushroom with a nice little visit from Danielle!

Sunday morning I drove the rest of the way to my final destination, the one and only James Madison University.  You all have heard me talk about it before, but I hold a special place in my heart for JMU.  The people, the faculty, the part of the country its located, the opportunities - everything  - I just love it.  I would give anything to have a reason to go back, even if it is just for five hours.
First thing I did was make a photo stop by the quad!



Gosh I seriously love this place.

I grabbed breakfast with some of the AST sisters before heading to the Recruitment workshop.  It was so fun to catch up with them and see how the chapter has grown over the past three years and see the seniors that were freshman when I was there.  Being able to provide what I know on Recruitment to these women makes me feel good! I love being able to give back to the chapter that gave me so much during my time at JMU.  After the workshop was over, I had all the members of my "family" stay after to show them a family tree and see how much it has grown since I was the youngest one in the family.  I don't know much about any of these ladies, but I do know that we share a common bond of AST and know that they stand for the same things I stand for.  Graciousness - Respect - Connections - Intellect - Excellence.

Tori, the sweet little blonde on my right, took me to the house after to see the new basement they have now! It was awesome to see my room and what it looks like now and how beautiful the basement is!

I hit the road home around 5 p.m. and made a quick pit stop at the scenic view to snap a few photos and reminisce on old times.  When D.J. and I first started dating, he wanted to take me on a picnic to watch the sunset from the mountains.  We drove the the first scenic view we came across.  We had m&m's, chips, and a Dr. Pepper to share.  We were too early to see the sunset, but it was one of those memories that will always be a part of our history and I love it.




I made it home around 8:30 p.m. After a fast weekend traveling Virginia, it was nice to be home, do some laundry and hit the bed around 9:30 because my alarm was going off a 5:15 AM for workout class today!!

Have a good Tuesday everyone!


4 comments:

  1. What a fun weekend!!! We haven't explored much of VA. I want to make curtains so mad for our place, but I still have the fearof decorating the house. As soon as I have feel content with it we move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO fun. My mom grew up in Charlottesville VA, but we haven't been back since my grandparents moved ti be a near us in AK when I was in junior high. I miss that beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you get up at 5:15 to go work out amazes me...I'm trying to make myself become a morning person but I can't, I just can't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I stumbled across you blog; I love it! What a fun and full weekend you had! I met my hubby in college too and love going back to visit and having the memories all come back! I also love going back to visit sorority sisters; their new basement is amazing! I seriously love that coral accent wall!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on the blog! I cannot wait to read it and check out your blog! xx, cayte