Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I Love My University

Two years ago this May I graduated from one of the best universities in the United States.  It may not be the best education or best athletics, but it was by far the best experience. [thanks to my awesome parents for allowing me to come out debt free] 

 James Madison University is not just an institute of higher education.  It's a spirit.  It's an atmosphere. It's a way of life.  

When I was applying to colleges, I knew I wanted to go to JMU.  I guess I knew from a young age that I would always end up there.  I had in my mind that I would drive a white Toyota 4runner like my cousin and go to JMU and live by the train tracks.  Our family doesn't have a strong tie to JMU like many of my friends from college, but I just knew that this school was the best fit for me.  

When I went to visit for the first time, it was an experience that I will never forget.  I stayed in White Hall with my childhood best friend, Zoe and we had the best time.  The campus was beautiful and the people were friendly.  I felt like I fit in automatically.


I had some of the best time in my life at JMU.  I made so many friends and memories that will forever be a part of me.  From running the tunnels, having the band as an alarm clock in Eagle Hall, being able to see the end zone from our room in the AST house, living in Forrest Hills, and so much more, I am proud to say that I lived the Madison Experience.  I did so many of the "bucket list" items that everyone at JMU talks about doing.  Hiking Old Rag, check.  Swim at Blue Hole, check. Snowboard at Massanutten, check.

So like Jason Aldean says "It sure left its mark on us, we sure left our mark on it.  We let the world know we were here with everything we did.  We laid a lot of memories down like tattoos on this town."

If I was going to live away from home for four years, I wanted to make sure that it would bring out the best in me and make me a better person.  James Madison and Harrisonburg really made me feel at home and allowed me to be the best person I could be.  I feel like JMU allowed my personality to shine through in so many different aspects.  From being a First Year Orientation Guide, joining Alpha Sigma Tau, and interning with the JMU Sports Marketing department, I truly believe that I am the woman I am today because of these experiences.  I mean, lets look at it.  I wouldn't have met my husband if I wasn't a FROG,  I wouldn't have met my friends, bridesmaids, and roommates if it wasn't for AST, not to mention my first job, and I wouldn't have had the experience of doing in game promotions for sports if it wasn't for the internship.  I really think that down the road I will end up back in that area of work with all the baseball I am being exposed to now.


So to all you undergrads still living the life in Harrisonburg, enjoy ever moment that the university provides you.  Take full advantage of the movies at Grafton, the 4 beautiful seasons that valley shows us, and always remember to hold the door for those after you.  And as much as everyone says "the real world isn't like JMU", I have to disagree.  I think JMU lives in me everyday and I believe that I left a little piece of myself in Harrisonburg, but I 100% took a piece of JMU and Harrisonburg with me when I left.  So if you choose to believe that the real world will be like JMU, it will be.  You just have to let it shine through you!

Happy Graduation Class of 2014 and welcome to the best 4 years of your life Class of 2018!!





1 comment:

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on the blog! I cannot wait to read it and check out your blog! xx, cayte