Thursday, August 20, 2015

Spontaneous Trip || Portland, Maine

Yesterday's post gave you a little bit of background to my crazy spontaneous trip, but let me tell you - Portland, Maine is a beautiful place. 
The plan was that my mom, nana and I were going to fly into Boston on Saturday and drive to Maine, but when my aunt said she is interested in driving with my cousins, I nearly said no, but forced myself into the car and I'm so glad I did.

We left Norfolk on Friday at exactly 8am.  We drove to Connecticut, where we spent the night at my old babysitters house.  It only took us 12 hours..... but it  was great to get out and have a delicious dinner, complete with mac and cheese, just like the old days. 

We had a bonfire, played with sparklers, and crashed hard because Saturday we had an early morning, as we still had 3 more hours to drive to Maine.

We got up around 7 and were out the door (photoshoot and all) by 8am.

The whole crew (aka D.J's roadies). Yes- the car on the way to Connecticut was filled to the brim with 8 people.

Once we got to Maine 4 hours later, we went straight to see D.J. and grabbed some lunch at Hot Suppa, which was a great recommendation by another baseball wife that's husband plays for the Portland SeaDogs.

After lunch, we all split up- some went to a brewery, some went back to the hotel, and D.J. and I relaxed before the big game. After he had to go to the field, mom and I went out to Cape Elizabeth to see this beautiful lighthouse.

The views were beautiful.  It was an overcast day, so I can only imagine what it looks like with the sun shining bright.

After we did the quickest walking tour ever, we drove to the stadium to pick up the tickets before it got crazy.  The field is right in Downtown Portland, so the parking is a little tricky if you don't have a handicap pass.  When I went early to pick up the tickets, the sweetest girl was there to help at the front desk.  It just so happened to be one of the players fiance's that was able to help get our tickets early.  It was great to hear her story and meet another baseball soon-to-be wife and see how she spends her time during the season.  She came by and sat with me for a little bit during the game as well.

Before the game, it down-poured.  But we got a pretty awesome double rainbow out of it!

After the game, we tried to find a place to eat, but everything was closed because it was close to 11pm.  Sunday morning came early.  We spent all day from 7am to 9pm driving back to Norfolk.  The trip was definitely a spontaneous one and crossed that off my 25 during 25 list! It was worth it to see D.J. make his AA debut!


  1. I have never been up that way. I want so badly though. It great that you have met a lot of other wives.

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.


Thank you so much for leaving a comment on the blog! I cannot wait to read it and check out your blog! xx, cayte